Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Singing School






Singing School. Singing School? Yes. That's what I said. It's not actually singing school, its church camp and you go there and its awesomely awesome and you learn how to read shape notes and you learn how to keep time to music and you learn the difference between a bass clef and a treble clef and you do the UGA BUGA and you do Kangaroo Court and if you're really lucky you make friends that will last lifetimes. These friends will become your family and you will go back there when you're 30 years old and let your children soak up some of the wonderful. That's what we did a few weeks ago. I grew up on these church grounds in the obscure little town of Alpine. I learned a lot there. A lot about love, a lot about life, a lot about friends and a lot about music. I can't remember a summer that wasn't spent looking forward to Singing School. I remember the summer I got to take my brand spanking new NKOTB sleeping bag and pillow case and I thought I was going to be soooooo cool (for those of you not schooled in all things cool, that's New Kids On The Block). I remember a few summers later being old enough to sneak out of the camper or church house to "hang out" with boys. I saw Cujo at Singing School on Movie Night when I was around 12 or 13 and didn't sleep for days. I think that might just be the root of my fear and dislike for all big dogs except my own. Total dork that I am there is a song or movie or SOMETHING that reminds of everything...In the movie Stand By Me at the end the "writer" says "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anybody?” And you know what? He was right. There is something about childhood friends that sticks with you way down deep and becomes a part of who you are. I like that. I like that I have people in my life that have known me my entire life. I like looking back in time and the memories briging a smile to my face and warming my heart. That's a pretty cool feeling. I hope Georgia has friends like that. I'm pretty sure she is in the process of making them right now. If I had to wish one thing for her...whether it was smarts, beauty, wealth, anything...it would be that she have good solid friendships and that she make great childhood memories. They are priceless.

0 comments: