Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Choices

One of my best friends Courtney, recently had some nasty comments on her blog that really upset me. It was "anonymous" of course, but the coward was ridiculing her for working, putting Boston in daycare and letting someone else raise her baby. Well, of course I took immediate offense bc I too choose to put G in daycare. Jonathon and I could afford for me to quit work and stay home...Now, mind you we would eat ramen noodles and drink water but we could do it, IF we were so inclined. I DO CHOOSE to send my child to daycare. Not only for the betterment of her but for myself as well. I NEED adult time, I NEED to use my brain and I NEED adult interaction. What is so wrong with that? And since when it is the "man's" responsibilty to take care of his family? I am completely capable of taking care of myself and my child, if I needed to. I LOVE to work, I LOVE to be productive and I am a BETTER mother, wife, and friend bc of it. Georgia will reap the benefits of my labor as will myself and my husband. My child will reap the benefits of both myself and her daddy working everyday and learn wonderful lessons from it. I know this is a hot topic and I so support all of my friends that choose and are able to stay home with their children. That is their right and their blessing. It is for some of us and it is not for all of us. And lastly, if you want to ridicule a woman's choices, have the freaking balls to put your identity out there. Ugh. I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE INSULT MY FRIENDS!!!

5 comments:

Burtons Blessings said...

I love you!

Stephanie said...

AMEN!!! Well said, amanda. some people really have some nerve.

Anonymous said...

Amanda
I have known you for a long time and this has really bothered me.Maybe it is something I can talk to you about sometime in person, but I believe that daycare is the last place that your baby should be.When we become mothers,Me time is pretty much over.Focus on your precious little girl.I'm sorry I'm leaving this anonymous because I know this is going to hurt you, but stop making excuses for your guilt.

wendy said...

Anonymous,
Reading your comment on this post really pissed me off! Mainly, because Amanda is one of my best friends and possibly the best mother I know. Her and Jonathan are incredible parents and G is one lucky little girl. She wants for nothing and I'm not talking about the material things, I'm talking about unconditional love, the knowledge that her parents will always keep her safe and love her no matter what, commitment to each other as husband and wife and her parents and all the other things that really matter to a child. I see G at least once a week and she is one of the most well adjusted kids I've ever met and will without a doubt grow into an amazing young woman with the love of her parents, regardless of whether they stay at home all day everyday or go to work to put food on the table and clothes on her back. I will now get off my soapbox, I love you Amanda, Chic and Georgia!

Keith said...

I am just going to put it this way. Anyone that would be critical of the way you raise your child is not your friend. Friends should encourage each other and be there for each other not put each other down. My child goes to the same preschool Georgia and they are the two most beautiful well adjusted girls ever. Amanda is a wonderful mother and friend to me and my daughter. My daughter will know its okay to stay at home or work outside the home for the good of the family. Some people can be so closed minded!!! Alicia